(News USA) – Summer is coming to an end, but it’s not over. Even when the holidays end and school begins, the summer weather and outdoor fun and activities persist well into October in many places. Chilean lemons are the perfect addition to late summer meals and drinks on the patio or in the park.
“With their sunny zest and refreshing juice, lemons aren’t just delicious, they pack a healthy punch,” says Karen Brux, executive director of the Chilean Fresh Fruit Association. Lemons are a good source of many essential nutrients, including vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. “You could say that lemons from Chile are the unsung heroes of summer,” adds Ms. Brux.
Lemons are versatile. Try adding lemon juice to marinades, lemon slices to creamy pasta sauces or fresh lemons in lemon curds or meringues for the ultimate late summer dessert. When cooking with lemons, you can use their zest or juice, but try roasting them, says Brux.
Grilling intensifies the flavor of the lemon juice. Simply put a few slices on the grill with your fish, beef or chicken. Roasted lemon wedges work in cocktails too!
Try this easy grilled lemon chicken recipe:
Lemon grilled chicken
- the zest of two lemons
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 5 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- coarse black pepper to taste
- 4 large chicken thighs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large, shallow baking dish, whisk together the juice and zest of 2 lemons, 1/2 cup olive oil, 6 minced garlic cloves, 5 rosemary sprigs, 1 tsp salt kosher and plenty of coarse black pepper.
- Add 4 large chicken thighs to the mixture, toss to coat and let the chicken rest for 45 minutes at room temperature.
- Before cooking, make sure the chicken thighs are skin side up. Cut the remaining zested lemons into halves or wedges and place among the chicken. Add a final grind of black pepper on top.
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes or until juices run clear. If you want additional browning, briefly place the baking dish under the broiler.
Visit fruitsduchile.com for tastier recipes, and look for Chile Lemons at your local retailer through early October.